Monday, August 15, 2005

A sad day for writer Kim

It's a sad, sad day for writer Kim. I just read a book review of a book that is too, too similar to a story I wrote. Check out Punk Farm. It looks like the cutest book ever, and I'll have to buy it!

It's a book about farm animals who rock. Mine has a rooster who rocks and wears sunglasses and carries a guitar--a rooster Elvis. Mine has been rejected several times. I'm not saying anyone stole my idea. I don't think that really could happen. But, I can't get over the similarities.

So, I'm sad, but I'll use this as a learning experience. I'll find the book and study it. Then, I'll see how one writer/illustrator used a similar idea and turned a good idea into an idea that makes ya scream YOWZA!!!

Poor Rudy. I think I'll send him to the unwanted story book character graveyard now.

4 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Kim, that happened to me at my first attempts at writing a picture book. Im writing away, sat the story aside and later that spring, the same story published, only with a duck as the main character, where I had written that story using a child. Try rewriting the story using another animal, person, or maybe a thing. See where that takes you.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

Ick. Been there, done that one too. I think the Universe is sending you a message, Kim. You'll have to figure out the details but perhaps it's time to stretch those wings and grow a bit more into your writerness. Something new is coming when old ways are being blocked. Keep the faith.

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim, read the book before you bury Rudy. You can't always tell from a synopsis or a review.

Janee

 
At 3:37 AM, Blogger Chris Barton said...

Argh, matey -- how frustrating! I agree with Anonymous -- take a look at the book before you decide. There may well be room for both books. If you haven't gotten any rejections saying, "Sorry, too much like 'Punk Farm,'" that's a good sign.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home