Thursday, August 18, 2005

PERFECT MAN--another great picture book

I might just have another favorite picture book. This is my favorite book...at least this week!

Perfect Man is about a boy whose favorite superhero, Perfect Man, goes into retirement. The boy is a Perfect Man fantatic--he writes stories and has a website all dedicated to Perfect Man. When the boy returns to school in the fall, he notices that his teacher has super powers and thinks his teacher may be Perfect Man in disguise. The teacher goes on to help the boy discover his own super powers. The boy goes on to do great things and the teacher becomes his biggest fan.

It has lots of appeal: the reading and writing and living life slant; the teachers are superheros angle; the everyone has super powers theme. What's not to like? Oh, and if you liked the Incredibles or Sky High, I think you'll love this one!

I was surprised that my daughters felt like discussing the book. I usually get an "Uh, that's a nice book" response. They wanted to know what their super powers were. A says hers is that she's hilarious. S says hers is "pencil power." A IS shy, but funny. As her mom, I'd say her super powers are her creativity and her willingness to be friends with everyone. And, S (age 4) is a great story teller (but, I think she means she's good at writing her letters!) A stopped me right at the beginning--"He has a website? How can he do that? Can I do that?" When I told her that I could teach her and that she could put her photography on the site, she wanted to get out of bed at 9:00 p.m. and start. Let's hope she still has this enthusiasm on Saturday!

2 Comments:

At 3:23 AM, Blogger Chris Barton said...

What great responses you got to this book!

With my oldest, if I press him about whether he liked a book, or what he liked about it, or whether he even read it, or if there's such a thing as a "book," etc., he'll clam up.

My youngest still doesn't say much at all. He'll just bring me "The Animal Hedge" and "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" and expect me to read them simultaneously.

I know we're not supposed to count on our children to provide useful feedback for the stories that we write, but it's good to get it nonetheless, so here's hoping your kids are as forthcoming (and enthusiastic) about your writing as they are about "Perfect Man."

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I have to agree. Unless there is pooping and farting in the story - there are not many reviews. Thanks for putting the idea in my head!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home