Thursday, May 19, 2005

Abandoned Books--That's What's Bugging Me Today

Something new is bugging me today. I'm really having a hard time with the idea that a house would want to publish a book only to abandon it because it's not one of their push books that season. Isn't that like having a baby and leaving it at the firehouse?

So, now there's all these great books out there that aren't even in book stores that people only find out if they stumble upon someone who happens to recommend it? Gee, that's a lot of strikes against a book. And, once again, we wonder why people don't read???? First, we're competing with TV, movies, computers, music. Then, good books aren't always in the book store ...or anyplace else teens hang out. Next, we have to rely on friends and family to help push our own books because the publisher abandoned his kid???

Okay, the relying on friends and family is a good idea anyway. The book I'm thinking about got a starrred PW review, but I can't find it in the real world. Only online. It makes me sad because I hear it's a great book. So, here's what I want you to do: visit the online book sellers and REVIEW a great book (or two or twenty) you've read recently. If you've read Storky, it would be super-nice if you could write something up, but a review of any YA, MG or picture book would be a nice thing to add to your summer vacation to-do list. Nah, don't put it on your to-do list. Do it now!

Oh, and say something NICE about all those books you're going to review. Remember what your mama said about "if you can't say anything nice..."

Other reading/writing news: I'm thinking about hosting a summer reading party for my 7 and 4 year olds and their friends. We'll decorate book bags we can take to the library, do a book exchange, eat favorite food from books, and make our own books.

And, books make great gifts. Why not buy your favorite novels for your special graduate?

3 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a sweetheart. Thank you. This whole publishing experience has been an eye opener. I was thrilled to find a publisher, and my editor has been wonderful. But it's sad that few bookstores are stocking my novel. I guess this is all decided months before the book comes out, and publishers have to pay extra for "face-out" space, and I'm a new novelist, blah blah blah. But it's still sad. I believe my book will do well, however, because it got great reviews, other writers have been really helping me, and I'm promoting it as much as I can. What can I say? It's my baby. Anyway, thanks. I hope once you read it, you won't hate it. Wouldn't that be ironic in a horrible way?!

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Oh, don't worry. I already know I'll like it. You completely crack me up. Whenever you post a link to one of your articles, I read it. I always think that life around your house sounds about as crazy as mine.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

Publishing is such a crazy, goofy, wonderful business. Every time you turn around there's more proof that you have to do it for love (or the fact that you are insane and just can't stop.)My reality check came with my first trade book, a PB with a big house, decent reviews and exquisite illustrations and the indie bookstore in my own town doesn't keep it in stock. Grr...

It really is up to the author to promote the heck out of it on their own, and with their friends, and anything they can do to get the word out.

Write on, right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home