Thursday, May 12, 2005

Great Events in the Midwest

Once again, I'm in awe of Cynthia Leitich-Smith and the great state of Texas. How can there be so much going on in Texas and nothing taking place in the plains? It's bad enough that there's nothing noteworthy in Kansas. I've also looked for events in Missouri and Nebraska. Not that I actually have a shred of time to go to any of these things, but surely we have our fair share of talent here in the Midwest?

Here is a sampling of the cool Midwestern things I found:

Juvenile Writers of Kansas City

Missouri Writers Guild and info on their 2006 conference

Springfield Writers for Children

Missouri Writes for Kids -- a listing of Missouri children's writers

Kansas Authors and Illustrators and Kansas SCBWI member pages

Kansas SCBWI page and upcoming events

Ravenstone Press --publishes stories of Kansas and the Great Plains

The Children's Literature Festival -- an event for children in grades 4-10...what a shame to have missed this one!

Kansas City Writers' and Readers' Conference -- October 7 & 8

Kansas Authors' Club and Writers in the Schools and their District Two News

Kansas Center for the Book

Okay, so I guess there was more than I thought! The real mystery is why was it so much work to find them?

P.S. I had to edit this to add another group: The National Association of Women Writers. The KC chapter is headed by one of our SCBWI friends!

2 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Wow, you've done your homework. I remember when I lived in Iowa, there was nothing for children's writers. They have a chapter now, but I don't know how active it is or supportive.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Thanks, Don! I lived in Iowa City for about two years. I've always wanted to go back as a "student" for the Iowa Writers' Workshop. At the time, I wasn't doing much writing at all...too busy putting in 15 hour days at a job I'm still too burned out on to consider ever doing again. But, oh, did I love that city! Thanks for visiting my blog. It really means a lot to me that REAL, PUBLISHED people visit (As opposed to unpublished farm animals and my brothers who love me dearly.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home