Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Happy Blogiversary to Me!

Happy One Year Blogiversary to Me!

One year ago, Baby K was 9 months old and woke each morning at 5:00 for a bottle. I snuggled her in the dark, hoping she'd go back to sleep. I was sleep deprived and needed "just one more hour" of rest before starting my day. While I snuggled and wished for sleep, I cruised the internet.

I was introduced to blogging by my friend Heather. Her blog was my first stop each day. I looked forward to my daily glimpse into Heather's life. I was intrigued, so I started a blog.
Like many first blog posts, it started, "Well, this is it! I am officially a blogger. I have no idea what to write..." I posted a limerick I had worked on the night before. One year later, I'm still writing limericks. Right now, I'm working on a picture book written in limerick. (Unfortunately I still need to work on my rhyming technique.)

I can't recall where I first learned of children's writing blogs. Early on, I discovered Harold Underdown's site, Anastasia Suen's site and Cynsations. From there, I began following links until I ran across Don Tate and Susan Taylor Brown.

One year ago, I wrote this about Harold Underdown:

I'm so used to thinking of my cyber friends as real life friends, that I almost slipped up the other day and told someone I knew Harold Underdown. I don't know him at all, but he's a great source of writing information. I spend a lot of time researching on his site.

Here's the first mention of Anastasia Suen in my blog:

I stumbled upon Anastasia Suen's web site, Yahoo Group and blog. I've received more useful information from her in the last week than I have from any other source in the past year.

Yes, go ahead and laugh at me! I was very, very green. Some of my posts remind me of a toddler's reaction the first time she visits the zoo. Everything is new and exciting. I've come a long way in the last year, and I owe it all to blogging.

I learned a lot about poetry in April (makes sense since it's National Poetry Month!) I was already getting mouthy about marketing. I was obsessed with American Idol, and I discovered Lauren Barnholdt and Robyn Schneider's blogs. Shortly after that, Lauren convinced Nadia Cornier to blog, and I found that too. April was a big month!

In May, I was still thinking about book marketing and was disappointed to learn that not all books make it to the bookstore, and not all books are pushed by their publishers. Another newbie writer month! I was also fixated on making Boyfriend Lists and on my 20 year high school reunion.

It doesn't look like I did much writing in June. It does look like my kids had a great summer with a flurry of activities. July was full of more vacation activities, my continued obsession with Because of Winn Dixie and a hyper post about book packagers and other stuff.

In August, I took Anastasia Suen's picture book class and gushed about it in several posts. In September I decided I was blogging too much when I started having dreams about other people's books.

In September, I started a journal at Live Journal and started posting my blog entries in both blogs. (As of very recently, I've decided to keep LJ for my "fun" posts and Blogger for my more professional posts.) I love the community-building aspects of Live Journal, but I just can't give up my one year of blogging history at Blogger!

From October through December, my party-girl, sugar-addicted self took over. I sure don't see much evidence of writing going on! (Another post, but I think I'm going to term October-January as my sugar coma months.) I know I was writing, but I definitely was not focused!

January brought a relaxing Hawaiian vacation and renewed focus on writing and submissions.

In February, I started a blog for writers living in the Central U.S.

It's been an incredible year! I met so many amazing people and my life is richer because of YOU!


And, now...I must go take care of the kids who are waiting for mom to plan yet another fun-filled day of Spring Break. I'll do it sugar-free to see if I can avoid the sugar coma that threatens my sanity and my ability to write. You can take away my sugar, but not my caffeine.

I will remain...


One Over-Caffeinated Mom

2 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger Disco Mermaids said...

Happy Blogiversary! I'm sorry it took me so long to discover your site because now I've got so much catching up to do.

Keep it up!

- Jay

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Don Tate II said...

happy Blogiversary! For some reason, I'd thought you blogged longer than I. I've really enjoyed reading your stuff, though i get busy sometimes and need to play catchup. Wow, you've done so much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home