Saturday, April 09, 2005

Sell Yourself

I was reading a blog the other day where there was a conversation about publicists and whether or not a new author needed one. Now, I don't know the answer to that since I don't have a book deal. Not that any of these world-famous author types actually read my blog, but if they did, I'd recommend Sell Yourself Without Selling Your Soul by Susan Harrow.

The book gives PR advice that explains how to write a press release, how to prepare sound bites that will increase your chances of being quoted, how to pitch the bigger TV shows so you'll be a person they want as a guest, how to prepare for that on camera interview, how to find reasons (seasons, logical tie-ins) the media will want to talk about you...and more. It's like having a personal media coach sitting in the tub, in bed, on the couch...or wherever it is that you read.

I'm sure a publicist is necessary at some point, especially if you don't have the time or energy to market yourself. Sell Yourself Without Selling Your Soul is a great guide to the PR world, and I'd recommend it even if you do have a publicist. It will help you understand what you are paying for, and it will provide great background information.

Another great read is the Buzz Your series. This series provides do-it-yourself promotion techniques. There's a free e-book download "that gives away some of the best tips we've got on how to get Buzz." And, you can even buy "Buzz Your Book" for just $8.95. Inside, you'll find all sorts of great ideas, including how to get people to your book signing and how to make the most of the audience you have.

Another book I've found helpful is Debbie Allen's "Secrets of Shameless Self Promoters." At her site, you can find dozens of articles on self-promotion.

I could say much more on this topic, but I have two crying babies at my feet. Have a great Saturday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home