Saturday, April 02, 2005

There's a Problem with My Name

There's a problem with my name. I've known it for many years, but it's been bothering me again lately.

When I got married, 14 years ago this May, I wanted a hyphenated last name. It was a big deal to my husband for me to take his last name and to drop my maiden name. To him, it was a matter of commitment. Why make it easy to get a divorce?

Written that way, it doesn't make a lot of sense. But, it was important to him at the time. My only reason for wanting a hyphenated name was that I was attached to my name. I mean, I'd had it for 24 years! So, I took my husband's last name, and things have worked out well...until now.

I've been thinking about creating my own writer's web site with my name as the URL. The problem? I share a name with a famous person. Said famous person isn't using his name for a web site, but some greedy person has snatched up the name and is holding it for ransom.

So, my problem is this: under what name do I write? Should I use my initials in JK Rowling style? Should I use my hyphenated name, which makes for a long URL? Should I become (deleted), a name that really doesn't feel like me? Or, should I just not worry about it and spend my time writing a book that will sell?

My name is a problem, but right now, my biggest problem is that I still don't have a story to go with the cool Snow Day rap I wrote. If that's all I'm worried about right now, I'd say it's gonna be a great day!

2 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger Heather said...

If forced to make a choice...I'd go for the two initials. K* Peek. Or what about Kim Peekaboo?

(I didnt think so..)

But if you use your hypenated name...I don't think it would be too long for your domain name either

Good luck! Tough decision!

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger veach glines said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home