Friday, April 01, 2005

It's a small world

I was reading my friend Heather's blog this morning when it struck me. I've never met Heather in real life, yet I consider her a friend. When I'm still groggy in the morning, after pouring cereal and juice for the kids, I sneak to my computer and catch up on news. Heather's blog is the first thing I read in the morning. I can't wait to see what she's thinking each day.

We met while posting on another board in cyberspace--we both have first graders, and we both have three children. We've shared tales about our children for years, but we've never met in real life.

But, I'm so used to thinking of my cyber friends as real life friends, that I almost slipped up the other day and told someone I knew Harold Underdown. I don't know him at all, but he's a great source of writing information. I spend a lot of time researching on his site.

Which brings me to the point of this post: it really is a small world. When I was growing up, my mom was afraid to fly. She lived in the same city her whole life, and she rarely left her home town. I remember asking for luggage for my high school graduation. I was determined to grow up to be a different woman than my mom. I would travel and explore and meet new people.

I am a busy mom, not so different from my own mother in many ways. I had a very rewarding career for 12 years before I chose to become a stay at home mom. I did my fair share of traveling and met lots of wonderful people.

Although I no longer travel as much as I'd like, technology allows me to travel to interesting places and meet interesting people every day. We can't watch the steam rise off each other's coffee, but I share breakfast and a little quiet time with my friends each day.

1 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Well cling your coffee mug to the screen each morning...because I am usually doing the same thing first thing. What did we used to do first thing? I forget!

Cyberspace really does change the way we think about the world. And its nice to find friends amongst people we have never met. Thats got to be a modern concept eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home