Friday, April 01, 2005

Addicted to Alliteration

I am addicted to alliteration. I include alliteration and rhyme in all my books, so imagine my horror when I read this article stating,

3) Alliteration should be on the list of the Seven Deadly Sins of Writing for Children. It gets annoying fast.



Yikes! Tell me it isn't so! And, if it is so, why is it taught in EVERY writing book I've ever purchased?

Yes, I know...they don't like rhyme either. But, I do.

When I was doing business writing, I had to start my own newsletter because no one was publishing what I wanted to read and write. In case you're wondering if I'm a total flake...I made a profit and had paying subscribers. I sure hope this isn't the case with children's writing...there must be some editor that shares my taste in children's literature.

It's considered amateurish to say so, but dang it--my kids and their friends like my stories! *I* like my stories. Maybe that's all that really matters. But, I want to be published for another reason. I want to help kids develop a love of reading and writing, and I want to do so with writers' workshops for children. So, although I have been published in business journals, it's children's publishing credits that matter most when it comes to building credibility. More on writers' workshops later!

1 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger Heather said...

The most renoun Canadian writer alive...Margaret Atwood wrote s children's story some years back and it was an aliteration using P.

Princess Prunella and the Purple Peanut

And if Margaret Atwood can do it...

Oh yeah...be very suspicious of those who make rules and thou shall nots...DaVinci and Picasso didnt need them ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home