Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Wouldn't this be fun?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been trying to come up with a donation item for my daughter's school auction. The PTO raised $25,000 last year with a school auction and fun run. This money helps with extra field trips, supplies, playground equipment, PE gear, computers...things that are "needed" but aren't in the budget.

People donate things like time shares, frequent flyer miles, spa days, gym memberships, autographed sports items....things from their parents' businesses. I'm not connected in this city--not like I would be if I lived "back home" near my extended family, so I'm really struggling with this.

Yesterday, I got a bright idea. Why not do something that would also help local writers in the area? I emailed the leaders of two of our local writing groups to see what they thought. They liked it. Next I emailed the principal (still waiting to hear back from him).

Here's the event I proposed:

We would auction a lunch with Kansas and Missouri children's writers (probably authors of picture books, chapter books and middle grade novels) for the winning bidder and 15-20 friends. I'd try to get a lunch sponsor to cater the meal and maybe see if a bookstore would co-sponsor and provide a gift certificate. Lunch entertainment would be the area authors--either reading from their books, or doing something fun from their school visit/storytelling talk. The winner could use it as a birthday party, an outing for their class, or a fun event for another organization they are involved with.

After some additional brainstorming with some area writers, my latest proposal is:

PJs, Pizza and Picturebooks
An almost-sleepover with area writers and illustrators

Story telling, games and crafts (tied to the books' themes) with our author and illustrator volunteers.

We'd open it up to a whole grade level and the parents could do group bidding. The grade that bids the most, wins the event.

I think this is a win/win. The school needs auction items. The authors are looking for a way to increase their exposure among teachers and book buyers. It would also make a nice small-scale event to use as practice. We could easily take this concept to the library, book store or children's museum as a fundraiser for those groups. I'm all about taking the books to the people, on their level...wherever that may be!

I'll let you know what happens next. If the principal likes the idea, I'll open the brainstorming up to the area writers and illustrators.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home