Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Creativity in Children

I usually steer clear of supermarket magazines unless I'm reading on a plane, but the cover of the November 8th Family Circle caught my eye: How to Raise Creative Kids. It's one of my favorite topics, so I had to pick it up.

I have a thing about creativity, specifically, teaching kids to write. I believe it's important for kids to learn to write because I believe that a person who can write will always be employable and will always be able to support herself. Beyond that, I've never been able to articulate WHY I think writing is a critical skill.

I LOVE this quote. The writer is speaking about creativity, but I think it applies to how I feel about writing.

" 'Creative individuals are remarkable for their ability to adapt to almost any situation and to make do with whatever is at hand to achieve their goals,' says Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Ph.D., director or the Quality of Life Research Center at California's Clarement Graduate University and author of Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention (Harper Perenial). 'They don't tend to let external forces control their destiny.' "

I think I might just have to check out that book!

Um...if you're wondering...I think the new cough medicine is working! I've posted twice since I took the first dose :-)

2 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

Hey Kim, so glad to hear you are on the mend. I'm still not really blogging, maybe by tomorrow, if I get the revisions done.

This is just a short break to clear my mind.

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think creativity is a valuable...thing to have no matter where its applied, writing, visual, thinking...whatever. so true. Hey, how'd you find my secret spot? Was it the mistake I made on CB's blog?

I sure don't mind, I'm just curious. I get in a hurry and forget how I'm signed in.

DevasT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home