Monday, June 06, 2005

Critique Group Jitters

My new SCBWI critique group met tonight for the first time. I think this will be an awesome group. Our RA joined us for our first meeting and will help us again next month. I wouldn't say they were "tough" critiquers, but they had lots of ideas and insight. I left full of enthusiasm and ready to rewrite my latest picture book manuscript. I've NEVER rewritten a manuscript after a critique. Sure, little words here or there, but not major rewrites. Usually, I'd rather just start on a new idea and chalk it up as a learning experience.

The best news--someone (everyone in our group!) finally told me I've created a great character! The actual story didn't work...but I knew that. I didn't know exactly what didn't work going in, but they really helped me figure it out. I think I'm really going to like working with this group!

The only problem--I came home very, very sick. I'm not sure if I was more nervous than I thought or if I'm really sick. You don't want the details. Believe me. I just hope I'm feeling better in time for our big day tomorrow: writing club with babysitter and a big ol' trip to see my family.

2 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I'm glad you've made some progress! I know its a trade secret and all...but I am anxious to hear about this new mysterious character. Awww...give me at least a wee hint...animal, vegetable or mineral?!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Whats it like to read your work to others in the group. I've often wondered. Its been suggested that I join a group to develop my writing, but the thought of putting my work out there for critique is very unsettling. I guess I do it everyday with the blog though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home