Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Painful Past

I've really enjoyed the YA novels I've read recently (Prom, Speak, the boyfriend list). All this reading has made me want to switch from picture books and try writing a YA novel. I've had ideas floating around in my head for days, but I haven't come up with a concept I like yet.

Tonight, I received an email from a former childhood friend. We were best friends from the time we were two until we were in eighth grade. I'm pretty sure there's a YA or MG novel in there. The pain of splitting up with a best friend. I think I could combine her character with another character I've been thinking of (again, somewhat based on a real person). Combining the two would suddenly make this a real, fictional person!

I know. I know. This is hardly a plot. I'm working on it. It seems like, in many of the author interviews I've read lately, the author has stated that the story just grew from getting to know a character and letting her problems spill onto the page. I'm willing to try anything at this point!

Somewhat related to writing, this is going to be one busy summer! We've hardly been home so far. We spent four hours at the gym today, including lunch and swimming time. It's going to rain again tomorrow, so we have a library visit planned. The girls are going to bed later and later, which means I get started with my "other life" later each night. After I get the toys put back into closets, I'll carve out a writing plan so I can make the most of my alert morning hours. This evening writing just doesn't work for me.

1 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think some of the best stories start from a strong character, not a plot. Plot will come. :) You GO!
debbi michiko florence

 

Post a Comment

<< Home