Tuesday, June 28, 2005

A computer day!

It's been one crazy day. I sat at my computer for a good part of the day. YEA!

A and S didn't want to go to the gym, so we attempted to go to story time at the park. It was raining, so we went to the grocery store and also got some copies made. A had letters to write to 14 pen pals, so we copied the letter and shipped it out today. She wrote a very nice letter. At first, she wasn't into it. Last night, when she was stalling about going to bed, she added to it--until it was two pages long!

So, as I was saying, I sat at the computer the rest of the day. I had a small writing project I had to get out of here. My former employer wanted me to write an article based on a Power Point presentation of a speech I didn't see. Uh...OK. But, even with the lack of information I had, I think it turned out well.

I'm all caught up on my training work. I have a babysitter coming later tonight so I can go to my writing club. I hope to be able to finish up one more writing project when I return home. Which will mean...that I'll be free to spend the weekend writing and reading (when we're not celebrating the holiday weekend, of course!). I see a light at the end of the crowded tunnel!

Last weekend, I read: Feed by MT Anderson and Rain Is Not My Indian Name by Cynthia Leitich Smith. I highly recommend both!

Feed is not the type of book I'd typically select, and I found the lingo distracting (necessary for the characters' world, but it messed with me!). I almost put the book down, but I'm glad I didn't. Once I was sucked into the world, I couldn't wait to see how it ended. A very satisfying ending. This book haunted me the rest of the day.

Rain Is Not My Indian Name was also excellent. I read this in mostly one sitting--late night and early morning at our hotel last weekend. I enjoyed the characters in this book. The romance sucked me in...and made Rain a person teens could identify with immediately. I also enjoyed how the book shattered stereotypes. The unusual thing about this book is that it takes place in a fictional town that is minutes away from where I really live. Landmarks, schools, malls ... and social climbing attitudes that are present here in real life helped create a realistic Kansas setting that also develop the story.

Picture books I read this weekend include Don Tate's Summer Sun Risin'. I loved the artwork in this one, especially the use of perspective. For more samples of Don Tate's art, visit his blog. Today's entry features the just-completed cover for his new book, which looks like a lot of fun!

I also read Black All Around by Patricia Hubbell and illustrated by Don Tate. I loved the words and the pictures with this one! I enjoyed all the personal references that are in the artwork. I think this is a great book that celebrates black all around.

More on my great weekend reads soon! I'm also excited about what's in the mail: Storky, My Sister is So Bossy She Says You Can't Read This Book and Dancing in Red Shoes Will Kill You.

9 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Thanks Kim! Glad you enjoyed the books. Now, how in the world do people read an entire book in one sitting. Do you know how long that would take me?

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Don,

I know what you mean about the books. I've been that way my whole life. Unfortunately, I also get antsy, and skip over description when I feel it has gone on too long. I miss a lot because of that :-) When I read a good book, I am consumed and can't help myself. When the new Harry Potter arrives, I'll read it in 2-3 days.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

A perfect weekend is one spent reading. I read almost 5 books this weekend. The almost is for the missing pages in one. I too, read them each in one sitting but then I don't have little ones at home any more. I've always been a fast reader. My mom hated to buy my book club books when I was little because she said I read them all the week I got them. But I have to own the books. I go back and reread and study them so many times that the library makes it tough.

Write on right now.

Susan, in search of coffee

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feed is one of my all-time favorite YAs. I read it a few years ago and it STILL haunts me.

Thank you for ordering STORKY! Gulp. I hope you like it.

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Ok, yall are making a brotha feel stupid with your one book per sit-down. Im lucky if I get through 4 complete pages in one sitting.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

Don,
But I can't draw. I think it all evens out in the universe.
Susan

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh! I loved both those books. Especially Cyn's RAIN IS NOT MY INDIAN NAME. :) And it looks like you have great pile of books there! Enjoy!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Wow, everyone! Thanks for all the comments! Don, but you DO read! There are lots of things I can't or won't sit still long enough to do. And, lots of things I wish I could do that I can't. You have some amazing talents.

 
At 2:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not think so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home