Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Get Involved!

I did it again. I am completely incapable of just being a spectator. A member. An attendee.

My corporate career fried my will to volunteer. When I left that place four years ago, all I wanted was to relax. No commitments. No deadlines. No people telling me what to do. And, especially no people coming to me with complaints.

Two months after receiving my severance, I started a business.
That winter, I agreed to become my subdivision's social chair.
In the spring, I started a work-from-home job as a sales trainer.
A few falls later, I took a writing class.
I got pregnant again.
I couldn't keep my eyes open.
I closed the business.
I had the baby.
I became the lead trainer for the sales training company.

I joined my SCBWI critique group and a summer writing club three weeks ago.
I resigned as social chair two weeks ago.
I went to a SCBWI chapter meeting last week.
I volunteered to edit one of the chapter's newsletters today.

I am a stay-at-home-mom, writer, part-time-trainer and wife. My time is precious. I try to manage my commitments.

Right now, I'm serious about my children and my writing. I want to see my SCBWI chapter thrive. When I believe in something, when it's really important to me, I can't be a spectator watching the scene unfold through binoculars from 50 rows back. I need to be part of the backstage action.

Once again, I'm involved. I couldn't help myself. I have a vision ... and I need to make things happen.

Tonight, I urge you to think about your passion. To think about the opportunities you are presented with. Don't complain. Don't whine. Take action and make things happen!

***
I don't mean to imply that my role is significant. It's very small. A very small time commitment. But, I'm not whining. I'm DOing something.

3 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Amen! My only problem is that Im far too busy for all the passionate stuff. *sigh*

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

Oh boy, I can relate to this too. Funny, I seemed to do a lot of it when I was a young mom. I was the scorekeeper for Little League games and always involved in various kid groups, family groups, community projects and different boards for writing. I wonder if it was BECAUSE I was a stay-at-home mom? You have to balance. I'd tell you how to do it but I haven't figured it out yet.

Write on, right now.
Susan

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Susan, you are right. It's all about balance. I'm pretty proud of the list of things I wanted to do and refrained myself from doing and the list of things I refused to do even when people tried to talk me into them.

Don, you are one busy guy. And you are making your mark on the world with your illustrations, writing and your blog. Besides, I don't see you complaining about the state of writing (or lack of) in your state :-) And, I think a bat works just fine for fending off those mean dogs...and that seems to be your biggest rant of late!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home