Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I Think I Shrieked!

The Kansas Chapter of SCBWI is alive and growing! I just returned home from my first SCBWI meeting (the other meeting I attended was the Kansas SCBWI conference in April), and I'm more psyched about writing than ever. The meeting topic was "What Children Read," and the presenters were local children's librarians.

Although the turn out was small, it was inspiring to be in a room full of people who are enthusiastic about children's literature. As I mentioned to one of my critique partners on the way to our cars, I've spent most of my life writing alone. Until recently, writing wasn't really something I talked about with other people--mainly because I didn't know any other writers. I am suddenly surrounded by readers and writers, and it is awesome!

After the presentation, which was quite informative, our RA announced the upcoming speakers. When I heard the name of one of my favorite bloggers, I think I shrieked! I tried to control myself, but I'm pretty sure that dancing feet and a grin the size of Texas followed the shriek. I'm star-struck. I can't believe SHE is visiting her home state and taking the time to meet with our chapter....and that I will get to meet HER. Oh, I think this is better than Meg Cabot coming to town. I've already emailed two friends to tell them they can't miss the meeting (date to be determined) with this sensational writer...and I've only been home for about one hour!

I'll keep you in suspense for a few days. I've planted a few clues, but you don't need to know much about the writers on my blog list to crack the code!

3 Comments:

At 8:29 PM, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Let me guess, CLS? That would be very exciting for you all. I have not heard her speak, with the exception of an introduction she gave at a conference here, but I know she and G are phonominal <-----(boy, I messed up that word) speakers. They have a wealth of insight into this field and are just plain good people. I hope for you all, my guess is right. Since I have no KS events booked on my schedule, I'm not guessing myself.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Maybe you could all hop in the car together to visit. Ya know...we're not THAT far from Des Moines! You could tie it to a visit with your own relatives! Just kidding. I used to do that KC to Des Moines drive a lot when I worked in the cable industry. Not fun!

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Susan Taylor Brown said...

I so love your enthusiasm. I have no doubt you will get where you want to go with your writing because in spite of the obstacles to your time to write, you are still obsessed with writing enough to stick with it. And that's what it takes, more than talent.

If it is CLS coming to speak, you are in for a real treat. She's a sweetie with a heart as big as Texas and energy to boot.

Write on, right now.
Susan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home