Monday, August 29, 2005

I am so sick and tired!

1) I am so sick and tired! K, A and I all have colds. Or maybe allergies. With all this rain, we probably have a high mold count now. At any rate, I can't breathe; I feel wheezy; My chest hurts. And, with all the cold medicine I'm taking, I can't sleep. At least not when I'm supposed to sleep.

2) The Center For Media Research has posted an interesting study about blogging. To view the full Behaviors of the Blogosphere analysis, please visit here. Someone places a high ad value on YOUR thoughts, ladies!

  • Dan Hess, senior vice president of comScore Networks, said "The fact that we found 30 percent of the online population to have visited blogs clearly underscores the commercial importance of consumer generated and driven media.
  • Of 400 of the largest blogs observed, political blogs were the most popular, followed by "hipster" lifestyle blogs, tech blogs and blogs authored by women
  • Compared to the average Internet user, blog readers are significantly more likely to live in wealthier households, be younger and connect to the Web on high-speed connections
  • Blog readers also visit nearly twice as many web pages as the Internet average, and they are much more likely to shop online.

3) Last night I was all pumped up about book promotion. I had all these ideas that I'd use if I had a book to promote. Then, I got online and did a little research. No wonder all authors give out is book marks and post cards. Premium items don't exactly fit an author's budget.

If I had a budget, I'd buy those "cause bracelets" printed with my book name and web address and pencils with my book info. I'd also print up some t-shirts for my dad and brothers and other family members to wear on book release day, and maybe some of those cling-on window decals. And, if I was feeling especially flamboyant, I'd get a great big car door magnet with a picture of my book. My list goes on, but I think I'll save those for another day. I wouldn't want to overwhelm you ;-) I still might consider a few of those things--and hand them out as prizes, but I really wanted to give every kid a pencil. First and second graders love pencils. Especially when they come out of vending machines. But, that's another story.

4) My picture book class is over. SNIFF. Now, all I have left to do is rewrite my stories and find an agent. I have a few dream agents in mind. That's all.

3 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Varian Johnson said...

Oh man,
I wish I would have thought of the pencil idea. It seems like a good, inexpensive promotional tool.

Don't stop with the good ideas. I'm looking for good ideas to steal - um, I mean to borrow.

Varian

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Sorry to hear about you and the kiddos. We had it a couple weeks ago...nasty!

I love your promo ideas. I do some free advertising for you anytime! The pencil and car decal is a great idea. The bracelet is too - since it is way trendy. I wonder if people would get miffered that it was advertising and not promoting a good cause? Maybe you could pair it up with a cause (like if your book is about animals, each book purchase would donate some $$ to the local animal shelter). Maybe that idea is too complicated huh? Another way to get attention that is for sure!!

Can't wait for a signed copy!

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Heather, I think the donation to a cause is a fun idea too, if the author could have a non-complicated way of doing so. Here, lots of the kids have generic cause bracelets--just a picture or a phrase (my niece has things like "I like boys" and "girls rule.") Our school gave out school bracelets on registration day, and the kids went wild over them.

OHHHH another idea. And this one is really cheap. Temporary tattoos. Again, you'd have to have the right idea or spin on the book-otherwise, parents would get really upset.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home