Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricane Sense

Teachers looking for a book that will help kids make sense of the hurricane disaster might appreciate River Friendly River Wild by Jane Kurtz. The book contains poems about a girl, who like Jane Kurtz and her family, survived the Red River Flood of 1997. I heard about this book on the RealWritingTeachers Yahoo Group when teachers were brainstorming ways to help kids make sense of the hurricane. I hope this book can help some of our kids. I plan to look for the book at my library tomorrow.

Read Cynthia Leitich Smith's "story behind the story" interview with Jane Kurtz.

1 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I seem to remember reading a book when I was a bit older (Jr High) called
"The Big Wave". It was about Japanese Tsumani survivors.

So I did an Amazon search, and the book is by Pearl S. Buck.

How cultured am I?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home