Friday, April 29, 2005

The Coolest Thing I Read All Day

This is the coolest thing I've read all day, maybe in weeks. From Trevor Romain's illustrated blog:

"I had a wonderful experience at a school the other day. I was speaking to a class of second graders about making a difference in other people’s lives. I dared the kids in the class to stand up for those who are being put down and include those who are being left out.
“Have any of you been left out or put down?” I asked.

A little girl named Rachel slowly put up her hand. Rachel was sitting on the side of the class and was all but hidden in her sweater, except for her nose and eyes."

Read the rest. I promise it's worth it. What a way to make a difference in the life of a child! Way to go, "Mr. Trevor!"

Really, I need to get a life. I mean, shouldn't I write my own stuff for my blog? Then again, why do that when someone like Meg Cabot can write about coasters and have me choking on my Nestle Lemon Splash Water Beverage because I'm laughing so hard?

SO, here's a little taste of Meg's blog today:

"Okay, so I grew up in a household without coasters. My mother may have OWNED coasters, but if so, I never saw any, and she certainly never made us use them.A current member of my household (hint: it is not Henrietta), on the other hand, is a coaster owner. AND user. Now, I am not saying coaster-users are wrong. I think, if you own nice furniture and don’t want to get rings on the finish or whatever, you should definitely use a coaster.If, on the other hand, you forget to use a coaster, because perhaps you were not RAISED to use coasters, so it is not exactly second nature to you, should you have to get a mini lecture about coaster use? EACH AND EVERY TIME YOU GET CAUGHT NOT USING ONE????"

You must read the rest, but swallow your drink first. Your computer will thank you.

***
We had a wonderful time at A's school tonight. It was their annual auction/fun run night. We spent over $50 before we ever got there to bid on anything. Plus, another $90 for some baseball tickets we won in the auction. I can't wait to hear how much they raised. Lots of big bidding on huge items. We got outbid on some items "A" wanted: a chance to read the morning announcements and a chance to be principal for 1/2 day. I can't wait to hear who won bus lane naming rights--the winner gets to name the bus lane after their child.

But, the best part was the race. "A" wanted to blaze a trail, so I told her I'd run the mile with her. "S" is only four, but she wanted to go too. Our sixth grade neighbor agreed to stay with "S" and run at her pace so "A" and I could turn on our jets. We were half a block into the race when I turned around to look for "S" and our friend, only to discover that they were AHEAD of us. "S" stayed ahead of us for about 3/4 of a mile and then "A" and I picked up the pace to the finish line. I'm not much of a runner, but we were pleased with our time: 11:45. And little sister was not far behind. "S" just beamed every time we told the story of her big run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home