Thursday, April 28, 2005

Writerly Wisdom

I wish I had some writerly wisdom to share this week since I was linked in one of my favorite blogs today. Thanks, Cynthia! I've been meaning to mention Cynthia Leitich Smith's story, Riding With Rosa, that appears in this month's Cicada. I read it as I devoured the magazines I brought home from the Kansas SCBWI meeting last weekend. It was one of the stories that has pushed me to think about short stories. (My notes from our meeting, filled with my opinions and pouting, are a few posts below, as four separate entries.)

I think one of the most overwhelming things about the SCBWI conference from my newbie standpoint was that I always thought of myself as a picture book writer. Now, I'm doubting that, but I am excited about short stories and non-fiction. So, Cynthia, if you're reading this...if I ever publish a short story, I will owe some of the credit to you for showing me the possibilities.

Another piece of advice that stands out from the SCBWI meeting is that sometimes you have to write what people will let you write, pay your dues. Then, once you've proven yourself, you can write what fills your heart. I've decided to take this advice, and I'm working on a business-writing project, something I'm good at and that comes easily for me. As I write, I'm reading, reading, reading books and all my favorite writer, agent and illustator blogs.

I only wish I hadn't spent so much time writing about my legs and American Idol last night. (blush)

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Blogger Don Tate II said...

Hey, you've got a great resource going on here. Mind if I add you to my list? And steal a few of your other links, Ha!

I too am trying my hand at writing beyond the picture book. Nothing wrong with them, I just never thought of my self beyond picturebooks.
I too owe much to the Smiths!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home