Friday, October 27, 2006

Santa Knows

Have you checked out Santa Knows by Cynthia and Greg Leitich Smith? I bought it about a month ago and had the perfect opportunity to see Christmas magic in October this week.

*******

My third grader came home from school this week and announced that her friend told the class that there's no such thing as Santa because Santa couldn't fly around the world in one night and reindeer don't have blinking noses. The other kids insisted Santa exists. It was just the one kid who didn't believe.

It sounded like something straight out of Santa Knows, so I handed her the book and told her that this book had all the answers; it was as simple as elf science and technology. I sat next to her as she read.

Finally, she let out a gasp. "Who wrote this book?"

I paused, about to tell her that I've met one of the authors. Before I could say anything, she said, "Do you think they are Santa's elves?"

"Well, they just might be," I said.

"They have to be. How else would they know all of this? Only an elf would know about the conveyor belt!"

"What do you think? Does this explain everything?"

"Yes! It says right here that Santa believes in those who believe in him!"

She glanced at my computer across the room. "But, maybe we should look these authors up on the Internet. If they show up, they can't be elves!"

So, now I've spent the whole week trying to keep her away from Google! Maybe I should teach her about pseudonyms or ghost writers. After all, elves are way too busy to write their own books!

********

Here's to Cynthia and Greg. May they have wildly popular book! Definitely one to add to your collection. You never know when the facts on elf science and technology will come in handy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home