Monday, August 14, 2006

Illustration notes??

My friend Tammi Sauer has just posted some great notes from the Mo Willems talk at the conference.

I asked the following question on her blog. What's your opinion?

One thing I'm getting from all the PB notes from the conference is that the visuals really count (DUH!) and to decrease the word count. Common sense, yes?

I've never put in any illustration notes, and I know illustrators don't care much for overly-explained notes. BUT, wouldn't it help sell the book if you could help the editor "see" what you have in mind? I could definitely write less wordy if I had a way to SHOW what I'm seeing. Sometimes I think author/illustrators have such an advantage!

So...do you/would you/should you put in illustration notes (even simple notes) if you are an author-only?

What do you think? Is this the start of an illustration note trend?

1 Comments:

At 12:32 AM, Blogger janee said...

Kim, if the text makes sense without the art note, don't include it. If the text doesn't work without the visual, include an art note and pat yourself on the back for your tight writing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home