Sunday, September 25, 2005

On a mission

I need some help with a Halloween party idea.

I am one of the room parents for A's second grade class. I've been trying to think of some fun ideas for her party, something a little unusual.

I was thinking of a STRANGE MAGIC party where we'd let the kids do little science experiments that all had a "magic" feel.

I thought of this idea after I found that science Yahoo Group the other day. He has things like making worms out of wrappers from straws, the obedient coin (making a coin move on the table), scaring pepper, creeping carpets, making a strong paper rope out of paper towels and lots, lots more. I wanted to pick out some that were easy and also had a creepy/Halloween name. (I was thinking we could set up supplies for each experiment at each table grouping--so they would work alone or in groups of 3-4, depending on the experiment.)

Our parties usually have a game, a craft and a snack. The science would be our "game." For the craft--I thought about making some sort of witch hat or Harry Potter glasses (maybe decorating the glasses?).

We have parents bring food, plates and drinks, and I can't tell them exactly what to bring, so I can't get too creative on the food. EXCEPT before I knew I was drafted as a room parent :-), I signed up for food for this party. SO I could make one themed food myself.

I thought we could use the STRANGE MAGIC song (a new version is on the Ella Enchanted CD) as our theme song for the party. OR, if I could find a faster song, we could do some sort of fun dance.

I know some of you are "science guys," so .... any suggestions about how to make this really fun? Do you think your kids/the kids you know would think it's fun?

2 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Chris Barton said...

Hey, how about something involving a black light and fluorescent doodads -- Post-Its, markers, etc.?

Do I have a one-track mind, or what?

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Chris-- When I went to Google "science, fluorescent" --GLOfish comes up near the top. Sounds like another book for you to write!

The Glo thing would be fun. My immediate problem is that all FIVE second grade classes have to agree on this, which means 15 moms :-) so I have to make it all look easy.

I'm so excited about this idea, we'll have our own party with friends if I don't get to use this idea at school. (Any excuse for a party, right?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home