Friday, December 02, 2005

Cinnamon Hugs

S and I had the greatest morning. Her Chuck E. Cheese birthday party is this weekend. I hate, hate, hate giving gift bags with junky toys in them. So, we decided to make our own cinnamon-applesauce ornaments and "ice" them with puffy glitter paint and loop a red ribbon through the top. The kids will get: an ornament that S made, the recipe to make their own and a gingerbread cookie cutter. I hope the parents don't turn up their noses --because we think they turned out pretty fancy.

To make the dough, combine equal parts of cinnamon and applesauce. (We used one cup of each.) Roll the dough and cut ornament shapes. Dry flat for two to three days. Our second batch, has been cooking for over an hour at about 200 degrees. The dough was too sticky, and I was out of cinnamon, so we added ground cloves and allspice. MMMMM....my house smells lovely!

This all reminds me of my emotional connection with food. I love the smells and the warmth of baking. I have wonderful memories of baking and frosting Christmas cookies with my family. I think this also explains why I can spend days baking at Christmas and throw it all way, only eating a few bites.

Which reminds me of that book I like...A City Christmas Tree...it's all about the many reactions and connections people have with Christmas trees.

Which reminds me that this little project is closely related to my new writing project. (YES! I have a new idea, part of which WILL be ready for critique group.) I had another cooking-related project that I abandoned a few months ago. I've decided all the research from that project still relevant to the new project, so I'm looking at this as a fresh approach.

****

Related to post #1 from earlier this week, Cynthia Leitich Smith just happened to have some thoughts on the same subject regarding the critiques of her own first drafts.

And, just in case you missed it...be sure to check out December's Book A Day Giveaway at Young Adult Books Central. While you're there, check out a few of the new book reviews and interviews!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home