Wednesday, November 30, 2005

On My Mind

I have a lot on my mind again tonight.

1. Critique group is next next week. I have nothing to share. Sure, I finished the picture book they critiqued last month, but I don't want to share it. I think it's because I didn't take their advice...and I don't want to hear it again. Is that wrong? Am I stubborn?

2. I keep hearing that quiet picture books are not selling. This confuses me because it looks to me like Little Brown is buying them. Have you read A City Christmas Tree? I just love it. But, it's quiet.

3. And, what about "jumping right into the action" on the first page? I am a big believer in this one. Kids today (myself included!) get bored if the action doesn't start right away. For proof, compare some of the movie remakes--FREAKY FRIDAY comes to mind. In the Tatum O'Neill version, it seems like the credits and that slow, slow music will never end. In the Lindsay Lohan version, the movie starts with upbeat music and action before the credits ever roll.

So, what's the point? Does my story really need the action to start on the first spread if I think a one-spread scene set up helps the story along? I guess you have to see it to understand, but the humor is in what is NOT said. (YES, this is the advice I didn't take in #1 above.)

4. We have a super, awesome speaker coming to our SCBWI retreat that is still in the planning stages. This presenter is one of three I recommended to our RA (um...as if my idea is original ...or that my opinion matters ;-). I'm psyched and can't wait to spread the news!

5. Before I go to bed tonight, I'm writing down a few ideas for a middle grade novel. I'm still thinking about carrying around a model of my character and keeping a journal about her experiences to get started.

6. I still need to write SOMETHING for critique group, but how do I do that when I have all this going on: neighborhood hayride with Santa (I'm in charge), school holiday party to plan, S's birthday party, Christmas cards to design and print (I ALWAYS make mine and our relatives expect this from me...at least my mom's aunts do. Seriously, they told me so.), the family calendar to print (it's designed. Would you believe it was over one GIG?!) But, hey...I did make it through four family birthdays in the past week. I've made two cakes and one batch of cupcakes this week alone!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home