Monday, November 14, 2005

A draft! It's a baby draft!

I'm happy to announce the birth of a second draft. It was a difficult process, but I've made progress.

Along the way, I think I discovered one of my big writing flaws. Nearly every sentence, with the exception of the dialogue, describes a character's actions. On this next draft, I'm going to work on adding more descriptors that do not involve sentences that begin with the character's names or "they." It seems like every time I add that other type of descriptive information, people tell me to "show, don't tell" or advise that "this would be a good place to cut unnecesary information." Maybe I'll need to read more picture books, keeping this in mind.

This story is told in present tense. I'm going to write the next draft in past tense to see if that helps any.

***

In other news, we have our SCBWI-Kansas quarterly meeting tomorrow night. I have a writing workshop to attend on Sunday. I received notification about two more writing events (plus another potential event). It was just a few short months ago that I complained that nothing was happening in Kansas. For the record, things are really taking off here!

***
And, if you're keeping track, I did write while Baby K napped today. Unfortunately, I also forgot about an interview I was supposed to conduct. Fortunately, the applicant called me to find out where I was. I've been very bad about writing things on my calendar. Between the writing, the calendar-making, working out and playing, I just forgot.

I'll be in lots of pain tomorrow. I went to my gym's Power Pump class today for the first time in months. Gotta attempt to get into shape before my really-cool, upcoming vacation :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home