Thursday, April 20, 2006

A very cool idea

I was so excited about my gift basket idea. I thought about all the book basket possibilities while I worked out this morning. I wished I had the time to turn this into a business. I knew it was a good idea. Think about how much additional revenue an indie bookseller could make selling custom baskets if she hustled to target the right opportunities.

Well.. I came home to read the lovely PW Bookshelf review of Rules (Yay, cynthialord!) and glanced up the page and saw this: a link to Storyopolis. They sell custom book baskets that are to die for, starting at $75. How cool is that? At this price, they might be more like corporate gifts than little birthday party and special occasion gifts, so I think there's still a market for another supplier.

I wish I had the time to take something like this on. Wouldn't it be fun? A person could do PTO/PTA sales around the holidays, book parties, city or state-state specific baskets. Really, you could create a theme for almost any business you can think of--which might get a lot of authors' books into some non-traditional places.

Tie a basket purchase or auction to library funding or a literacy charity, and think of all the access and support you'd get! Restaurants, hardware stores, auto dealers, sporting goods/camping/fishing supply stores.

Just dreamin' again. I wish Storyopolis lots of luck! I think it's a very cool idea.

1 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger Don Tate II said...

I have a friend who started a business selling baskets like that. She set up a website, and basically goes shopping filling baskets up with things of interest to the person. I think she's done well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home